Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Diabetes: A Comical Outlook

Being a diabetic of over ten years, I have find myself on many occasions explaining about diabetes and the different lifestyle that it entails. Many times, I find the questions people ask very comical. So, here are my top ten questions Not to ask a diabetic, along with various answers I have given in the past. Enjoy!

 1. (While giving myself a shot) Does that hurt? No, actually after a while you start to like it. (This answer is of course ridiculous because Yes, it does hurt).

2. Are you sure you can eat that? No, I'm really not sure that I can, but I am gonna try as hard as possible!

3. (from a commercial geared toward diabetics) "Do you have diabetes and love food?" No not really...in fact we are Completely different from every other human being on the face of the earth .

4. What did you do to get diabetes? Well let's see here...I was born with a pancreas that had a 12 year lifespan. 

5. Isn't that doughnut bad for you? Yeah, actually it is. In fact, it is probably bad for almost everyone; however, that doesn't change the fact that it will be delicious. 

6. Why don't you just "get over" diabetes like people with depression? This is when I laugh, my face turns red, and I remain speechless.

 7. How do you take all those shots everyday? Well, it's kind of like a math equation: shots=life and no shots=death...it's really not a hard decision to make.

 8. Is diabetes contagious? Yes terribly...don't get to close! 

9. Isn't diabetes for older people? Yes, you caught me. I'm really a 52 year old in a 25 year old body. 

10. What's the worst thing about being diabetic? I don't know, answering questions like this. What's the worst thing about being you?

No comments:

Post a Comment